I decided we can't continue this way. Jason stuck already, he's exhausted. Clay is not happy either. We've got we've got to do something else. If I could just climb to the top of the cane, just to the lip, I can drop a rope down to them. I will come back down. I'll help us get out and then we'll walk out on top of the canyon.
You're crazy. I think I didn't do it. I couldn't have lived with myself if we didn't all get out. J. Okay, I'm gonna climb out to set up a rope.Ben felt a lot of pressure to get us out.Part of me thought. Should I talk him out of it? But a part of me thought, no, I trust Ben, I can do it.When it came to this sort of thing, Ben was the man. I mean, he had done this before.
                                                                       
I was just going to go to the top. I was going to secure up and I was going to give us a way out at the time I didn't know what else I was going to do. It's my responsibility. I spearheaded this trip. I brought them to this place. That was the whole reason I decided to free climber 70 foot cliff.Ben is a novice, attempting in a sense that would challenge the most experienced climber. But he's powered by a potent cocktail of guilt, adrenaline and sheer determination.


He was doing good. He I just kept thinking, come on. I felt like he was gonna make it. He was going up the side of the wall very quickly. I was quite surprised at how fast he was able to make it that high.With no safety rope to break a fall, he risks his life with every move he makes.

You're doing great, Ben. Keep going.I was just praying that he would make it to the top and he got pretty far up. I mean, he was. It was high. It was really high.I remember looking back down at Clay and telling them  You're almost there, buddy.As I'm making progress. Finding a little more frightening to me. Higher and higher above the canyon floor.Ben has made it 22 metres up a vertical wall of rock. His next handhold will take him over the edge. I grabbed the rocks.The age was kind of rotten, the rock crumbly.

I know that I'm going to fall and it's just a wave of fear that rushes over me. I know instantly that I'm not going to make it, that I failed.Felt like he made it. You couldn't have been any closer. Then disaster strikes. He grabbed onto that last rock this to pull himself up and out. And when I saw that snap. Everything around me, it was silent. It was slow motion. He knew he was in trouble and he couldn't do anything about it.Something that I'll never forget.

This is a narrow canyon, it's extremely narrow.And it's just like ping pong going back and forth just all the way down the canyon and just jarring his head back and forthI heard him hit both sides of the canyon.Then a large thud when he hit the bottom of the canyon.I just didn't think he was gonna be alive.I don't think I wanted to face reality of what I was going to see.Faced with the sight of his stricken friend, Clay slips into shock, he started screaming out that he was dead and he just kept screaming it over and over again.

And I couldn't accept that Jason has to escape the narrow crevice that's trapping him and help his friend.And I think just the adrenaline rush and the fear of my friend being dead gave me enough strength to start to climb again. I switched into something else, a survival mode.

It was like I had to get out of there no matter what. I fought and fought. I remember I was screaming, crying. Just doing everything I could. And now it's just inching forward an inch at a time. But I was moving, so I didn't care. And I just kept fighting.I was so grateful that Jason. Got out. I can't even tell you when I saw Jason. That was just the most welcoming side because he had it together.

And I think he saw me going crazy and just knew that he'd better pull himself together.
I immediately started assessing the situation, trying to see what was going on. I was going to have to be very calm and try to help Clay and Ben.I felt a great weight fall on my shoulders. This headed hit a sandy area about two feet away from that boulder.
He was bleeding from his mouth, his nose, his eyes and his ears.All the signs indicate that Ben has suffered a major cranial injury. Jason might be too late to save his friend.

Clay's not dead. He was breathing.It's a miracle he's alive after the 22 meter fall.
So I started check him over for broken bones and injuries.I felt his ribs and they felt broken.I immediately knew that he had a very severe head injury. His scalp on the back of his head was peeled up and he was bleeding from different areas.The impact has violently shaken Ben's brain within his skull. The blood vessels in his head of burst as blood accumulates, it puts pressure on the brain that could prove fatal. The friends were only meant to be out for a leisurely hike. This bug spray van dance down is not there.
They're prepared for minor cuts, but not the traumatic injury.
Just looking at Ben. I couldn't believe that I was in this situation. Ben can't be lying there spitting up green bile and bleeding. And this isn't real. It was not really happening.




0 Comments